IT Italian-language Portal Francesca Innocenti Italian
- 2013: Testimony on website of “Jewish and the City” Festival in Milan http://www.mosaico-cem.it/articoli/festival-lo-shabbat-e-la-resistenza-dello-spirito-ebraico
- 2013: Presentation and launch of Visual History Archive at Instituto Centrale per I Beni Sonori ed Audiovisivi, panel of historians and scholars providing perspective about use of VHA in Italy and beyond.
- 2013: Educational two-day teacher workshop at the State University of Milan on the subject of memory, denying memory of the Holocaust, organized by the State University of Milan, with over 65 high school teachers.
- 2012: USC Shoah Foundation in partnership with the Ministry of Education conducted an IWitness pilot in Abano with educators and students from five schools as part of a feasibility study for localizing IWitness
- 2011: USC Shoah Foundation worked with three different partners in Italy—the Archivio Centrale dello Stato (Central State Archives), the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Catholic University of the Sacred Heart), and the Museo Ebraico (Jewish Museum) in Venice to reach over 1,000 teachers through teacher training sessions throughout the year.
- 2011: The Jewish Museum in Venice organized a teacher training to mark Holocaust Memorial Day, and then adopted our methodology to train dozens more teachers over the course of the month of January. This program reached over 200 teachers and nearly 600 students.
- 2011: In conjunction with the launch of Ti racconto la storia, the Central State Archives in Rome convened a training session for high school teachers and students on the educational use of video testimonies. Two hundred and fifty teachers and students from Rome and surrounding areas attended this event, which included lectures from pedagogical experts from the Catholic University in Milan, the Università Roma III (University of Rome 3), the Archivio Centrale dello Stato (Central State Archives), and the Museo Ebraico di Venezia (Jewish Museum in Venice).
- 2011: USC Shoah Foundation presented to an audience of 500 teachers in the annual seminar organized by our partners at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Catholic University of the Sacred Heart) in Milan. This year’s theme was Davanti al dolore degli altri. Immagini della sofferenza tra memoria e oblio (Facing the Pain of Others. Images of Suffering between Memory and Oblivion).
- 2011: USC Shoah Foundation forged a relationship with the Ministero dell’Istruzione, dell’Università e della Ricerca (Ministry of Instruction, University, and Research), and implemented a pilot of IWitness in Italy.
Additional educational resources
- 2014: USC Shoah Foundation partners with the Center for Research on Intercultural Relations at Sacred Heart Catholic University in Italy to produce the multimedia website Giving Memory a Future: The Sinti and Roma in Italy and Around the World.
- 2012: In partnership with the Catholic University, USC Shoah Foundation is developing Giving Memory a Future: the Holocaust and the Rights of Roma in Contemporary Europe, a multimedia resource guide in Italian and English, which will be placed on the Institute’s website, the Catholic University’s website, and a national web platform for teachers in Italy, managed by the Agenzia Nazionale per l’Autonomia Scolastica (National Agency for School Autonomy).
USC Shoah Foundation Documentary Films
- 2006: Volevo solo vivere (I Only Wanted to Live), by Italian film director Mimmo Calopresti, chronicles the Holocaust as experienced in Italy, from the racial laws Mussolini enacted in 1938 through the German invasion in 1943 and the liberation of Auschwitz in 1945.
Exhibits in Italy
- 2014: USC Shoah Foundation-produced documentary films, Algunos que Vivieron (Some Who Lived) and Dety iz Bezdny (Children from the Abyss), from the Broken Silence documentary series (2002) will be screened as part of the program for the Week of Remembrance in Rome, Italy, at La Casa della Memoria e della Storia del Comune di Roma, aimed at schools and general public, from January 27, 2014 to January 31, 2014.
- 2013: Mosaico online exhibit in conjunction with the Jewish Community of Milan to provide context for the observance of Shabbat in Milan.