Senior Director of Academic Programs
The Senior Director of Academic Programs will lead a dynamic team, mentoring staff's productivity and growth while promoting new initiatives and positive change for programs across the institute. This role will function as a partner for USCSF and USC colleagues and oversee all aspects of the programs division implementation of the institute’s strategic and academic plans. They will own the creation and maintenance of new strategies and provide a program plan to advance projects that make the Institute a dynamic, innovative leader in education strategy, including at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. This individual will collaborate with diverse stakeholders internally and externally to provide pathways for growth and sustainability. The Senior Director will prioritize service excellence, strategic vision and innovation in all responsibilities, ensuring a plan for a successful future. They will lead a division responsible for meeting the goals of the Strategic Plan across the institutes key audiences, interacting with lay leadership and working closely with Advancement and Monitoring and Evaluation teams. This role will execute USCSF's strategic vision while championing USCSF's ethics, culture and values.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience developing strategic plans and roadmaps and aligning resources to meet established organizational objectives.
- Experience building out programs from concept to implementation.
- Advanced knowledge of continual improvement processes for incremental or breakthrough advances.
- Experience and success developing project proposals, tracking results, resolving issues and presenting value add.
- Experience driving cross-functional programs and managing competing priorities.
- Ability to mentorteam members on program planning, improvement processes, data collection and reporting.
- Proven success leading a team with demonstrated leadership values and coaching skills.
- Ability to drive change and develop transformative environments for strategic growth.
- Demonstrated excellent relationship building skills.
- Excellent presentation communication and collaboration capabilities and demonstrated high level writing ability.
- Leverage the institute’s many platforms to effectively engage and communicate customized information to the various audiences of the institute.
- Proven planning and organizational skills, effective time management abilities and a growth mindset.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Plans and develops program objectives and content for the educator, scholar, organization and community audiences, including the development of online engagement platforms if necessary. Researches and identifies trends and needs and establishes program directions accordingly. Assesses quality of program operations. Modifies existing program services or creates new program offerings to maintain or enhance program standing.
- Directs thedelivery of services to targeted program participants or beneficiaries. Sets and communicates program priorities and performance standards and assesses operations using these criteria.Provides for quality assurance reviews and addresses areas in need of attention.
- Provides for and coordinates with other members of senior staff for the development and maintenance ofautomated or manualsystemsand procedures tofacilitate program operations
- Directly orindirectly manages all staff assigned to the program, usually through subordinate managers or supervisors. Overseesperformance appraisal process for program staff and remains informed of any disciplinary actions required.
- Develops and manages program budgets covering operations, endowments and sponsored projects.
- Identifies fundraising and development opportunities. Seeks funds for program operationsfrom private and public sources. Writes grants to fundprograms, or works with faculty, researchers and/orstaff to develop proposals. Serves as programs primary fundraiser and interacts regularly with support groups.
- Directs thedevelopment of marketing and promotional strategies as necessary for program outreach to include personal networking, publications, newslettersand related communicationsmaterials, and eventsplanning.
- Represents the program in community service activities
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, EdD, PhD preferred in a related field, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 7 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly relatedprogram management and academic experience. Expert knowledge of field, education, community engagement or outreach experience and/or active in related organizational engagements. Ability to manage sponsored projects and fundraise.
Preferred Education: EdD, PhD
Preferred Experience: 10 years, University administration experience
- Budget development and analysis
- Communication - written and oral skills
- Conceptualization and design
- Conflict resolution
- Interpretation of policies/analyses/trends/etc. Interviewing
- Knowledge of applicable laws/policies/principles/etc.
- Managerial skills
- Problem identification and resolution
- Public relations
- Public speaking/presentations
- Scheduling staff
- Staff development
- Statistical analysis
Supervises: Level 4/5
- Manages through subordinate supervisors